Pages

03 September 2014

Outlander - Episode 2 - Castle Leoch

***Spoilers ahead - kind of.  If you haven't read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and want to, you might not want to continue reading.  If you've read the books, you know what's going to happen...the show is one interpretation. ***

***Outlander follows the story of Claire Randall, a married combat nurse from 1945 who is mysteriously swept back in time to 1743, where she is immediately thrown into an unknown world where her life is threatened.  When she is forced to marry Jamie, a chivalrous and romantic young Scottish warrior, a passionate affair is ignited that tears Claire's heart between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.*** 

You can watch the first episode for free until June 2015 on Starz play.  Other episodes are only available with a Starz subscription.

Most of my "review" is written live while watching the episode and then edited for clarity.

I've heard there are complaints of Claire's narration and it is felt that those complaints are from those that haven't read the books - or they would know Claire narrates those...

Me, personally, I don't mind the narration.  I think it is a good tool to have and I imagine that there will be less in some episodes and more in others.  There was a good bit in episode 1 and 2 - but we are setting up the story so it's expected.  We'll have to see if it continues.

I've started watching with closed captioning on.  Carus was having problems with the Scots accents, and I had to really listen a couple of times so it's been helpful.

I still wish there were subtitles for the Gaelic, but then I wanted them when reading too.  (When things said weren't explained or the meaning wasn't easily gleaned from context.) Hey, they're keeping it close to the book.

I'm still waiting for Mrs. Fitz to unzip her forehead (Doctor Who reference), but I do love her in this episode.

Claire's flashbacks are nice.  I like that.  It helps convey her panic and disorientation.

DUDE! Jamie's back is as much as I was expecting but at the same time, not enough.  I've never seen a lashed back - fresh or scarred - so I don't know what I was expecting really.  I think they did a pretty good job though.  (Here's a bit on how they do the scars.)

You'd think those bodices were a bit harder to rip in half or something.

Lallybroch is much larger than I pictured.  I don't know why I pictured it as an average farmhouse; it's not described as such.

I like how we are starting to see Jamie's sense of humor in this episode and you can feel the chemistry between Claire and Jamie.

Hahahaha - Mrs. Fitz gives some broth and then takes it away so quickly.

The costuming scene with Mrs. Fitz and Claire was the best!  "It's a brassiere. It's from France."

The CGI on Colum's legs look pretty good.  It definitely looks like his condition would be painful.

Oh, snap! "Is there ever a good reason for rape, Master MacKenzie." Go Claire!

God, Scotland is beautiful!

Leticia's voice was surprising.  More gruff than I was expecting.

One wine, two wine - floor.  The awkwardness between Dougal and Colum is quickly apparent at dinner - who's really in charge?

Hoo-boy did Claire step in it with Hamish! Be careful what you say when you're toasted, Claire.

Gah! SCOTLAND IS GORGEOUS!

Chew with your mouth close, Jamie. Add "murder" and "ruckus" to the list of words I could stand to hear from a Scot on a regular basis.

We meet Geillis! Slightly sweet and kind, but her random presentation of her knowledge of how to loose a child gives a peek to a dark side.

Loaghaire's father is a douche waffle.  Poor girl.  Well, for a moment before Jamie steps up and cockily offers to take the punishment.

I pictured Angus much taller.

OOoh. Jamie said, "Claire" so perfectly.

Ha! That look Mrs. Fitz gave Dougal shows she knows those MacKenzie brothers well.  And she looked sad for Claire.

*Snort* Did you really think you were going to get to leave Claire?

They ended this episode well too.  Dougal closing the door on Claire and that final click of the latch shows how she's trapped and her defeated walk back into the room shows her despair.

* * * * *

Are you still watching?  What do you think of the first two episodes?  Do you want to visit Scotland too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some LOVE!

PS: I'm turning comment moderation on. SO! If you leave a comment and it doesn't look like it showed up - it's because I have to approve it first. And I'll do that, usually pretty quickly.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

background

a