Pages

06 September 2013

Back to School days 1 and 2 aka The Bus Saga 2013

246/365 (9/3/13)
246_365 09-03-13

Wednesday brought Adam's first day of school - first day of 9th grade - and the start of Bus Saga 2013.  Perhaps you remember all the issues I had with the bus company and getting them to pick up Carus last year?  Well this year, problems are with Adam's route.

247/365 (9/4/13) First day of 9th grade, aka "Hurry up and take the picture."
247_365 09-04-13

When I received route info for Carus I should have called about Adam's, but I just assumed that since they've never had a problem figuring out when and where he needed picked up that all was golden.

I should have known better.

Copy and pasted from my Facebook statuses cause it's faster than typing it out again:

The Bus saga 2013: Never received info for when Adam would be picked up by the bus. This is a first. Usually they forget Carus. (We got her info, we'll find out tomorrow if they pick her up.)

We get up at 6:30 to get ready and call bus company anticipating a 7ish pick up time.

Actual pick up time: "Around 8 am. I'll be sure to let the bus driver know he actually has a stop on that street."

And then later Wednesday:

The Bus Saga 2013 continues:

I called back later in the morning to get the afternoon bus number because I forgot to ask at 6:30 a.m. before I had my coffee. Was given a different number than the one that picked Adam up. That's usual for around here, no big deal. BUT!

1) They, once again, had to look us up by address because Adam wasn't listed. 

And 

2) Turns out, that wasn't his bus. He discussed the stop he needed with the driver of that bus and that driver did bring him to his stop after completing his route so he's home 

BUT COME ON PEOPLE! 

I am politely curt on the phone.  I know it's crazy for them being the beginning of the school year and they transport all of the kids in this area - a number somewhere around 5,000 kids to several different schools. (Do not quote me on that number, for all I know it could be 2,000 or 10,000. It's my estimate.)  But it is their job. This is what they get paid for.  They are responsible for our children from bus stop to school doorway, and back.  It won't do for me to yell, scream and swear, but I am using a tone that says I'm really fed up.

Because I am.

248/365 (9/5/13) First day of 6th grade (with photobomb courtesy of Robert.)
248_365 09-05-13

Thursday, there were no problems for either Adam or Carus.  They were picked up, and only Carus's bus was a few minutes late (which I get, lots of kids, new routines, first day of school - totally understand running a bit late), and I was so happy to have gotten it ironed out so quickly and relatively painless (compared to last year).

Again, I should have known better.

Today!

Bus Saga 2013:  After having no problems yesterday, I thought the company got their shit together and things would be better, and then today - Adam's bus drove by him. He was out there and the bus drove right on by.  So of course, I call.

Me: "My son's bus just drove by him. Stop is.... bus number is ...."
Them: "I'm sorry.  Just wait there and I'll send him back around."
Me: "Well, how long should he wait at the stop?"
Them: "Hold on and I'll try to get him on the radio."

Them: "He'll be back around in about 7-10 minutes. He was running late and then he just passed by the stop and by the time he realized he needed to stop he was too far to be able to stop safely."
Me: "Okay. Uh, I understand things are crazy and that sometimes you get behind, but he still needs to pick up my kid though."
Them: "Well, have him out there 10 minutes early to make sure the bus sees him in time to stop."
Me, trying very hard not to just say 'what the fuck?': "Well, he was out there between 5 and 10 minutes early today and your driver didn't stop because he was running late.  I'm not going to send him out earlier just to be passed up again."

She tried to make a few excuses. I explained that this wasn't the first time I've had issues this year let alone last year and that I was frustrated and not okay with the half-assery.  I didn't swear at her, I didn't blame her, I didn't raise my voice, and I only sputtered a little in keeping from doing either.  And then she apologized, said that I was right and that they would try to do better. I thanked her and hung up.

Adam got picked up shortly after and now I'm writing this out before I have to work (though it won't post until this afternoon after I've taken my 365 for today).

Her apologizing was probably a bit of blowing smoke up my ass.  She might have been thinking that they were in the right - but she apologized because it was the right thing to do.  They might have trouble doing their jobs, but at least they have good customer service about it.

249/365 (9/6/13)
249_365 09-06-13

In other news:

Robert had his second steroid injection for his back pain/sciatica pain today.  It went as quick and smoothly as the first time.  Crossing fingers and saying prayers that this time it will work and he won't be in pain anymore.

I am photographing a wedding tomorrow and Carus is going as my assistant/second shooter.  We are excited, and nervous, and excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some LOVE!

PS: I'm turning comment moderation on. SO! If you leave a comment and it doesn't look like it showed up - it's because I have to approve it first. And I'll do that, usually pretty quickly.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

background

a