Pages

16 July 2011

How to make Raspberry Jam

So I lied, sorta. I said I might post the recipe the next day, but I haven't gotten around to it.  Puppy takes up a lot of energy.

Anyways, here it is now. I wanted to put this here so I remember for the next time I make jam, and also for anyone else looking for a recipe. When looking myself I found many different ways of doing it, but they all seemed for experienced jam makers and that I am not.

I used:
16 cups berries
1 cup apple juice (or water)
Splash lemon juice
6 tbsps pectin (2 boxes)
1 cup sugar

And got:
12 half pint jars of jam, as well as some for the refrigerator. If I had better filled the jars (or should I say, had my helper, Robert, better filled the jars) I might have just had 12 half pint jars full.

Making jam
Sterilize the jars, and keep them warm. You don't want to try to put hot jam in a cold jar. I also put the rings in the dishwasher to sterilize them. I know they don't really touch the food being canned, but I can be a little bit of a germaphobe. I'm okay with that.

Making jam
Smoosh the berries, apple juice or water, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add pectin and sugar. Bring to a boil again, lower to a simmer, and keep stirring, you don't want it to stick and burn.

Also put on a small pot of water to boil (not pictured cause I'm a dork). When it reaches a boil, turn it off and put in the lids to the jars. You want to soften the seals on the lids and also sterilize them.

Making jam
This is the pectin I used because I wanted to have more control over the amount of sugar I used, and I like that it wasn't in a box so I wouldn't be stuck if I didn't get enough boxes. 3 tablespoons from this jar equals 1 box and this jar holds about 22 tbsps (if I remember correctly).

To check to see if it is jam, take a cold spoon and dip in the jam and then let cool down and then see if it sticks to the spoon. This is also a good way to see if you need more sugar because you can do a taste test - be careful you let it cool enough. (Also not pictured cause I'm still a dork.) To keep the spoon cold you can keep it in a cup of cold water between testings.

Making jam
When it has jammed enough, skim the foam off the top. I'm not sure all of the reasons behind skimming the foam but I think one of the reasons is so it looks pretty in the jars. It might also have to do with it filling jars properly but I dunno. I just know it needs to be done.

Making jam
Fill your (hot from the dishwasher) jars with your jam up to 1/2-inch to 1/4-inch from the top.  Funnels help a lot, as does a helper that isn't overzealous with the ladle.  Robert accidentally splashed me with hot jam while filling one of the jars and HOLY MOLY did it hurt! 

Wipe the rims clean with a clean, damp rag, place a lid on the jar and then tighten down the ring.

Making jam
Turn jars up-side-down for 5 minutes then flip back over right side up. I did this on a couple kitchen towels to cushion them a bit. They will seal as they cool and you will hear it pop. Refrigerate any that do not seal (after they have cooled).  To make sure they have sealed, feel the top of the lid.  When first putting the lid on you can feel the little bubble and move it.  After it has cooled, the bubble is sucked down.  If it doesn't seal the bubble will still be there.

You can see some of my jars aren't as full as others - it's a learning process for sure!  I definitely like this flip-over canning method for jam and not having to process the jars in a water bath or pressure canner. It makes it rather easy.

The jam turned out a little tart and could probably had another 1/2 cup to maybe a full cup sugar, but I didn't want to add a lot.  Tart raspberry jam isn't bad, and now I know for the next time.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, If I remember correctly the foam you are to skim off is impureities and if you don't skim it off you jam and jellies will be cloudy. You may have been able to find that out on the computer somewhere.. But Granny told you instead.

    ReplyDelete

Give me some LOVE!

PS: I'm turning comment moderation on. SO! If you leave a comment and it doesn't look like it showed up - it's because I have to approve it first. And I'll do that, usually pretty quickly.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

background

a