Pages

05 July 2011

PUPPY!!! Oh, and some other stuff

I don't know about you, but my Independence Day was pretty darn awesome!

We had our annual 4th of July BBQ with many friends and some family.  There was lots of good food, many great stories and laughs, and a 2-1/2 hour firework show to cap off the night.  But more about that later.

First - update on the puppy Leia.

She is fitting in better and better, and has calmed down a lot from the first evenings' nonstop running and playing and running.  I think she was just over excited.  And while she is definitely not potty trained (I think I read somewhere once that a dog literally cannot be potty trained before 12 weeks) with good timing and some consistency I think we'll be okay.  We've had a few accidents (just #1), but I've stocked up on carpet cleaning spray and the whole house is in on the training so we're cool.  

She didn't sleep well the first night, which we thought was because the pet carrier she was in (the one we already owned) wasn't big enough for her, and after a not so restful night of her whining to be let out, and then bouncing all over the bed after a short hour sleep after being let out (we are pets on the bed people, but since she had been sleeping in a crate already we wanted to make the transition easier on her) I was up with her at 7 a.m.

Now, you might be asking yourself, "Hey, wait a tick, isn't she Robert's puppy?" And I will say, yes.  She is.  But she is also a family dog, and since I was the head for the New Puppy Campaign and Robert's a turd when he is cranky and we were expecting company I was all gung-ho about taking the first shift.  I also made the kids help, which they did because PUPPY!!!!

Then, when Robert woke up, I was like - okay, I have played with her and played with her and then took her for a walk and played with her some more.  She should seriously like crash any second, but until then you get to be in charge cause I want some sleep!  And then I took a nap, and she ended up taking one with me. And Robert made potato salad.

Fast forward to last night, and we chose to forgo the whole cage/whining saga (new carrier borrowed from our awesome neighbor that is MUCH larger) and let her sleep on the bed.  A big part of this decision making - it was 12:30 a.m.  This worked out well until I woke to her trying to get a drink of water out of the dish in the bathroom at 2 a.m.  I figured since she was up and I was up I might as well try a potty trip so I didn't wake up to a mess in my bedroom, and that was a good idea.

The rest of the night went off well and she slept another hour after I got up at 6:15 (for work - I switched shifts - didn't think that one through all the way). But I'm exhausted...

Robert was off today (vacation day) so after he got up, I told him the next 2 a.m. potty break is all on him.  And he agreed.  No whining or arguing. 

It might have had something to do with how tired I look (according to him and I don't disagree, there are mirrors in this house).  And then he made me lunch and I've been ordered to take a nap after work.

I think I'll keep him.

* * * * * * * * *
Well that was a good nap, and much needed. I had trouble getting up after the 2 hours were up (I wanted to be able to sleep tonight). 

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming - the 4th.  I'm just going to share the 365 here for the 4th and for today, but I will direct you here to my Flickr stream for the rest of the party. 

186/365 - Oooh pretty!
186_365 07-04-11

187/365 - Leia puppy
187_365 07-05-11

Oh wait - I can share a slideshow from Flickr. Well there ya go!  You can still go to the Flickr stream for more details on some of the photos.


Enjoy! Hope to see everyone (and maybe more) next year on the 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some LOVE!

PS: I'm turning comment moderation on. SO! If you leave a comment and it doesn't look like it showed up - it's because I have to approve it first. And I'll do that, usually pretty quickly.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

background

a