Pages

22 November 2012

Apple crisp pie


327_366 11-21-12

327:366

This pie is my own invention and I'm pretty proud of it.  Though I'm now seeing them everywhere, a bunch of copycats.

Normally, I'm not a fan of pie crust. It's just too bland for me.  So one time I added a bit of sugar and cinnamon to my apple pie crust and loved it.  You could go the other way for a savory pie crust for pot pie and add some herbs or roasted garlic or garlic butter, etc and that would be good too.  I haven't messed with that one so don't have a recipe for it...yet.

Now as for the changing from a pie crust on top of this pie to the crisp topping: Once, I was making an apple pie and I didn't have enough crust for both a top AND bottom crust...and I didn't want to make another crust.  One of Robert's favorite desserts is apple crisp (which I shared recently here) so I put two and two together - crust on the bottom, apple filling, and crisp topping.  Voila!  I'm awesome.

Pie crust:

1/2 cup cold unsalted butter  (Use the real stuff, trust me.  Not shortening - butter. You want FLAVOR baby!)
1 cup flour
1 tbsp sugar
Sprinkle of cinnamon
Just enough water to bring the dough together

1.  Take the stick of butter and rub it along the bottom and sides of the pie plate, generously. (This step isn't necessary, but I like being sure my pie crust isn't going to stick.)  Cut up rest of the stick into cubes and put in bowl.
2.  Cut the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in the bowl into the butter until pieces are about pea sized.  You can use two butter knives, a pastry cutter, or my favorite (cause it's the fastest method) a stand mixer.
3.  Slowly add water, a teaspoon or so at a time until the mixture comes together into a ball.  You don't want it too sticky.
4.  Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface or between two lightly floured sheets of wax paper.  Transfer to pie plate and smooth from center out. Flute, crimp, or otherwise finish your pie edges as you prefer.

Pie filling or Apple filling:

Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (about 5-7 apples fills a 9 inch pie)
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp flour
sprinkle lemon juice

Peel, core, and thinly slice Granny Smith apples. Tart apples are good. Embrace the tart. Immediately toss with lemon juice.  This will prevent browning and keep the apples looking pretty.  Mix sugar, cinnamon, and flour and sprinkle over apples and mix well.  Pour into pie crust mounding it up to the center.  They will cook down so really mound them in there.

Crisp topping:

1 cup oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, melted.

Mix dry ingredients and pour in melted butter and mix until all incorporated and crumbly.  Sprinkle on top of pie.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until crust and crisp are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some LOVE!

PS: I'm turning comment moderation on. SO! If you leave a comment and it doesn't look like it showed up - it's because I have to approve it first. And I'll do that, usually pretty quickly.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

background

a