Pages

12 December 2011

Guilty pleasures

Reverbs prompt day 12:
Name and explain the one guilty pleasure you can't live without.  ie: that cupcake shop you visit weekly, a book you repeatedly read to find solace in, etc).  Then explore the idea of how you would feel if you gave that thing up for a year.   
~Neha at http://whereyouarehere.blogspot.com/

I have several guilty pleasures.

Like... My occasional coffee shop coffee.  I prefer my small in town coffee shop, but will take Starbucks anytime.  I try to limit myself to only once in awhile because I know they are high in sugar and fat and blah blah blah GOOD STUFF! Which is why I feel guilty about it.  That and it costs money which I could save if I just drank my regular coffee from home.  But I enjoy coffee shop coffee so very much when I do get it.  I usually order the white chocolate mocha, no whip cream, and the largest size.  If extra sleepy, I'll throw in a couple extra shots of espresso.  It's good hot or iced.  My second cold favorite is the coconut mocha frap. That one comes with whip cream and toasted coconut.  Mmmmm

I also enjoy my daily, at home, no frills, with French Vanilla Coffeemate creamer (liquid only, not the powdered crap) (very large cup) cuppa coffee and don't really feel guilty about that one.

My other guilty pleasure - except I don't feel guilty about it - my TV shows.  I especially enjoy my "chick shows" so deemed by Robert, which tend to be drama shows that he doesn't find interesting.  I think he does find them interesting, he just doesn't want to be sucked into the story.  He particularly likes to tease me for Vampire Diaries, Desperate Housewives, Once Upon a Time and Secret Life of an American Teenager.  That's just recent tease-worthy shows, there are more.

I'm getting him hooked on more and more shows though, it's all good.

I'd list all my current favorites, but I don't want to leave out older favorites because you can still see them in reruns or elsewhere (i.e. Scrubs and Friends) but then I'd forget one and then have to come back and add it and then remember another and come back and add it and... you get the idea. And besides, the list is probably too long anyways.

Let's just say, I'm easy to amuse and as such can find amusement in almost anything.  (I say almost because I didn't find amusement in, and apparently I'm the only one, Napoleon Dynamite. I nearly fell asleep and was only able to get through 20 minutes of that movie before shutting it off. I'm annoyed they are making a cartoon about it. Also, Will Farrell is not funny.)

Now as to the exploring the idea of giving up my guilty pleasures for a year.

Nope.  I've considered it and I don't think so.

Seriously though, I'm sure I could do it.  I might not be too happy about it, but I could do it.  I know I can because I can do anything I put my mind to.

The coffee would be the easiest to give up, I've done it before and while I missed it, I didn't have to have it back.

The TV shows - that's my down time in the evening and on the weekends.  It allows me to shut my brain off, stop thinking and/or stressing about shit and just enjoy the story, the suspense, the drama, the laughs.  I enjoy watching a show and knitting, crotcheting, sewing, quilting, playing on my laptop (Facebooking or messing with photos). Robert and I share a lot of shows and we watch and enjoy those together, and I like that too. Actually, this past week with our living room TV being broken I haven't been watching as much and I'm doing just fine.  (I'm also giddy over getting to watch several episodes in a row to catch up.)

I'm sure I could completely replace that TV watching time with books (stories to shut my brain off of me and my worries) and be just fine (and probably make a dent in my to-read list), but I don't have to.  I like the little arrangement we've got going with a little of both worlds.

What about you? What are your guilty pleasures?  Would you be able to give them up for a year?


This post is brought to you by Reverb Broads.  A group of bloggers encouraging each other to write more throughout December by sharing prompts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me some LOVE!

PS: I'm turning comment moderation on. SO! If you leave a comment and it doesn't look like it showed up - it's because I have to approve it first. And I'll do that, usually pretty quickly.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

background

a